Saturday, January 7, 2012

relevance














So you know when there's that one song that seems to be really relevant to your life?  Yeah, well right now I have a bunch.  Here's a list:

  • Breakaway- Kelly Clarkson
  • Independence- The Band Perry
  • I Can't Be Tamed- Miley Cyrus
  • Wide Open Spaces- The Dixie Chicks
  • A Place in this World- Taylor Swift
Weird list right?  Let me explain.

Breakaway is about a girl who feels so discontent with her life and just wants to get away from everything.  She knows that her life is good but she knows there's so much more out there for her and she has to take a risk to discover what she feels she's being held back from.  I know it sounds so incredibly lame but I kind of feel the same.  Like I know I've been blessed with an amazing life, but I feel like there's so much more potential out there for me in the world and I'm just being held back.  I want to go and discover myself and get away from everything and everyone holding me back.  The song also kind of resonates with the whole leaving home after graduating high school thing.  I also just really like the song.

Independence has to be one of my favorite songs at the moment.  Its one of the Band Perry's songs that isn't really well known, but I think it's their best-- especially the Oceanway Studios version.  The song is about the anticipation of waiting for independence, and that for me is graduating high school, going to Europe, and then going to college on the other side of the country.  Its about needing to feel free, which I really crave.  I'd have to say my favorite lyric is: Some say I'm crazy, a little loco but most of my friends will live and die in this zip code.  It might be for me but how am I supposed to know until i go?  My thoughts are the exact same.  How am I supposed to know what I'm supposed to do with my life until I just go out there and go?  And of course, people look at me like I'm crazy for just wanting to go without plans or whatever, but isn't that all apart of learning to be independent?  

Can't Be Tamed is by far the weirdest most out of place song on this list, but I have a really odd connection to it right now.  I've given up on guys for right now because like Miley says: I go through guys like money flyin' out the hands, they try to change me but they realize they can't and every tomorrow is a day I never plan if you gonna be my man understand I can't be tamed.  I'm done with guys, or anyone else for that matter, trying to change me and telling me what's best for me.  I can worry about me and do my own thing.  Like she says: I wanna fly, I wanna drive, I wanna go.  I wanna be a part of something I don't know and if you try to hold me back, I might explode.  Baby, by now you should know I can't be tamed.  I can't be tamed.  I'm going to be Caroline and that's that.  

Wide Open Spaces is so so beautiful and I could listen to it on repeat for days.  Like the Dixie Chicks got it spot on, the opening lyrics are pure perfection.  The song is basically about needing new places and faces and just a breath of fresh air which are basically all things I need.  I just need new.  The song is just about the journey of needing newness.  I just need newness, and like the Dixie Chicks, I know the highest stakes of just going out and finding that newness.  But I'm okay with that.

A Place in this World by Taylor Swift.  An oldie but a goody.  I don't know what I want so don't ask me, 'Cause I'm still trying to figure it out.  I don't know what's down this road, I'm just walking.  <<Lyrics that describe my wonderful teenage emotions perfectly.  While everyone else in my entire world is out there planning every last waking minute of their lives, I'm just walking.  I honestly have no intentions of planning one bit of what happens in 2012, which is scary but kinda just how it is.  I'll be strong, I'll be wrong oh but life goes on.  Yep.

So to basically we all have songs that feel like they were written to us.  Some, like me, have a lot.  After writing all this down, it seems like I have this weird obsession with being independent and free and the future.  All things that have been on my mind lately, so I should've seen it coming.  Anyways, these are just my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I had to absolutely comment because you literally spoke my mind!!! Whats wrong with our world today? It tries too hard to hold us back when all they teach us is to go out and become someone. I can't be tamed by Miley Cyrus is one of the top songs on my playlist and i can't help but sing along at the top of my lungs to it ......maybe even a little out of tune :) and thats absolutely the best thing about my life now as I apply to college and no matter how much those suck: they are my one way ticket to see the world my way. So you go girl!! tell everyone who you cause as i see it: you will probably get one glamorous chance to do so. Go Big or go Home!!
    p.s: I love your sass.

    ReplyDelete